So to dive right into it, perhaps the biggest features include, true native widescreen support, the ability for 24 player maps, major hero balance changes, a new ladder map pool for all ladder modes, the major expansions of World Editor limits (Map size dimensions -> 480x480, object limit -> 30,000, terrain tiles -> 16, and many more limits raised), and over 90 new natives for the World Editor. If you had a hard time taking all of that in because it's absolutely crazy and packed into one loosely formatted paragraph, we can't blame you!
Note that all of these changes are in the public test realm, meaning it has separate Warcraft 3 server and download. But don't worry, these features should hit the main server when they are tested thoroughly enough and are clear for lift off. We went over all of these massive changes in detail below.
- Widescreen: The game now supports true widescreen; the game no longer stretches to fit a wide resolution.
- 24 Players: Maps are able to be created and played online with up to TWENTY-FOUR players! Prepare for some map makers to go overboard with this!
- Bug fixes: Mac client launches, clans can be created again, hosting bots and cross-realm hosting fixed.
- Streamer/Caster API: An officially supported Streamer/Caster API that allows us to read out information about gold, lumber, food usage, APM and more when observing games live. No more need to use sketchy hacks for this!
- Move Speed: Nearly all heroes had their move-speed increased from 270 -> 290, some heroes had durations toned down, possibly making for slightly faster gameplay
- Buff: Crypt Lord, Far Seer, Tauren Chieftain, Dreadlord, Firelord, Goblin Tinker, Goblin Alchemist, Dark Ranger
- Nerf: Blademaster (damage items lesser affects critical strike multiplier)
- Adjust: Mountain King, Keeper of the Grove, Warden, Paladin
- Map Pools: All ladder mode map pools (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and FFA) have been updated with vanilla maps and edited(LV) vanilla maps. See the full map pool list and specific balance details in the full patch notes linked at the bottom.
- Map dimension size limit increased to 480 x 480
- Tile set limit increased to 16
- Max execution number increased to 1666666
- Max food limit increased to 999
- Max resource limit increased to 9999999
- Array size increased from 8192 to 32768
- Over 90 New Natives: New natives add an array of new possibilities and more control in the editor. @Kam with the help of our users also pioneered the discussion in a Blizzard producer update.
- Enhanced control over abilities, items and units.
- Even responses to mouse actions.
FULL.PATCH.NOTES.AND.PTR DOWNLOAD: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762056755
Editor changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761976724
Map Pool / Balance changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762006793
Hive bug report thread: [Feedback] Compiled List of 1.29 Bugs & Issues
Hail Warchiefs, Lichs, Commanders, and Keepers,
Warcraft III's PTR is back and ready for your scrutiny. Join us in testing widescreen support, hero balance changes, and updates to Map Pools for 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's and Free-for-All. We've also added some experimental modes like 24 player support for custom games.
We hope you enjoy. We will be watching here for general feedback, the Editor thread for mapmaker feedback, and the Balance & Map Pool thread for that topic (details below).
Specific Changes & Improvements
- Added bookends to the in-game interface
- Added black pillars in menus to prevent stretching
24 Player Support
- Game lobbies revised to support 24 players
- Team colors revised and expanded
- Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes
Balance & Map Pools
- Head.here.for.details.and.focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762006793#1
World Editor Upgrades
- Head.here.for.details.and.focused discussion: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761976724#1
- Clans may now be created
- Mac clients launch on 10.11 and beyond
- Unable to change resolutions in native fullscreen
- PTR only supports English version of the client
- This will be the last version to support Windows XP
- The Mac PTR client requires manually running the launcher to patch
We hope that you guys are just as ecstatic for this patch and the future of Warcraft 3 as we are. And as always, please make sure to provide feedback regarding all these PTR updates so we can see them in great shape when they hit live on the main servers. If there's anything you'd like to share or report, please do so respectfully below, patch discussion, or in the Blizzard forums. Thank you everyone for being so passionate about this game and hopefully this will spark something more。